AHA coordinates the Sheep Health Project (SHP) through the SHP Steering Committee.
The SHP aims to reduce the financial impacts of endemic diseases and other livestock production conditions on farm productivity and supply chain productivity in Australia.
Sheep health conditions include health and welfare conditions that are already established or exist throughout regions of Australia. These conditions limit the production of the animals, their fibre and other by-products.
The objectives of this project are to:
- improve the implementation of on-farm biosecurity processes and other tools that minimise on-farm risks of endemic diseases
- improve access to information on endemic diseases to enhance decision-making
- a healthier, more productive national flock through improved use of contemporary management practices and tools (such as Paraboss)
- increased understanding of the cause, spread, management and impact throughout the supply chain of endemic disease through effective, coordinated R&D.
SHP Steering Committee
The SHP Steering Committee comprises representatives from:
• Australian Livestock and Property Agents
• Australian Meat Industry Council
• Australian Veterinary Association
• Australian Wool Innovation
• Meat and Livestock Australia
• Sheep Producers Australia
• WoolProducers Australia
• Animal Health Australia
• State governments